Saturday 14 April 2012

Bandwagoners...my rant at 4-4

Okay, so clearly today's loss effing sucked sausage, but the seasons gonna be like that. There will be ups and downs and most real jays fans know that. Right now, twitter is full of morons that are losing their minds after todays loss complaining that we've lost the games we have in the manner that we have. I will refer to these 'fans' as twittiots from here on out. Toronto is full of fans like this and I hate it. They are So quick to hop on the 'Jays are young and gonna be good' bandwagon and if the jays are anything less than amazing they are all over them on social media and TSN message board I'm sure (these people may be the worst sports fans out there) They're also probably the same fans that chucked a potato on the field today...seriosuly a POTATO?!?! I know that the team knows that these are the fans that will come out to games once they can prove that they're a 'winner'. Rogers cranked the hype machine to full this preseason and people got amped for what could be in 2012. The problem is though that these people haven't been struggling with this team over the years and they are quickly looking to get off this bandwagon at the first site of failure. I can't lie, there's a large part of me that wants to give them that last push that they need to go over the rear of the wagon. I want fans that will love the team and the game no mater what. Is that possible? Do those fans exist any more? Or are the new generation of fans only attracted by flash and success?

Perhaps there's something wrong with me but I've been cheering for this team since 1988 and have never waivered. There was glory in those early years, but oh my shit was there ever disappointment. Year after year of sub .500 or barely .500 baseball. Through those years we saw players come and go through the system. Players that were advertised would help the jays become a competitor in the AL East. It never happened and people quickly broke up with the Jays and have yet to consider a reunion. For one reason or another, I'm still here. I'm beyond excited for this team but not as much as I am for what they'll be in the next couple of years. Are we hopeful that this team will be successful THIS year? Of course we are. Do I realize that it's almost just as likely (if not more so) that this team may come up short (or even quite short) this year and maybe next year? Yup. If they fail to make the playoffs am I still going to support them? Without question. So why are there so many people out there that are so quick to drop this team with a few blown saves/leads?? A part of me could care less if these twittiots arent fans, do we really want chumps like this? I know that its puts $ into the organization and then we can overpay free agents in the offseason...but these these twittiots can stay at home as far as i'm cocerned.

Sure I'm frustrated that the jays havent played to their potential so far, but we're 8 games into the season folks...calm the eff down.


2 comments:

  1. Agreed, there is a large part of the fan base which is unlike those of us who support the team through thick and thin. A contributing factor is no doubt is the culture in Toronto, starved for any semblance of a winner. In addition, as much as twitter is an avenue to share information and positive experience, it also allows the idiots to front themselves as experts. Unfortunately this isn't going to go away, all we can do as true fans is continue to support the Jays and go for the jugular vein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I start my comment thread, I would just like to say the the potato throwing was stupid, but funny for 2 reasons. The first being that someone had a potato on them the entire game ... That's fucking weird! Second, and more importantly, was the reaction that the umpire had while taking the potato off of the field. He was losing it trying not to laugh, and I think that his thought bubble above his head read "What the fuck? A potato? I get waffles for the Leafs, but this is bizarre..."

    Now for real times. I agree that people are losing it over nothing, don't talk to me about anything concerning the season until May, that at least gives people with a decent attention span a good sample size to go on. Not a week's worth of games. I can comfortably comment on this as I DO have a short attention span, but I'm not an idiot. When I'm sober ...

    Also, the issue I'm about to talk about has been grinding my gears for years! I'm talking about stupid fans, predominantly girls, who are all Gung-Ho for The Jays in the first week of the season, then do shit all to support them the rest of the year ... The thing I hate the most is girls who hype up the Home Opener and wear all these outdated Jays jerseys and hats and take pictures and post them on Facebook as their profile pictures because they think they look "cute". Well guess what sweetheart, you're a fucking tool and I hope that J.P. Arencibia knocks you up and you never hear from him again!

    Working at a popular sports bar last year, near the Skydome (yup, Skydome), I know at least a dozen of these girls and I absolutely hate them. The only positive is that they're willing to spend money on tickets supporting the team, other then that, they're terrible people that look hot. You all know of the kind of girls I'm talking about, and despite my sexist rant, you know that you agree with me.

    If you think that you know one of these sluts and want to be sure, just ask them this simple question? Name me the Manager or the General Manager of the Toronto Blue Jays? If they get it right, they're legit and you can bang them, repeatedly. If they get it wrong, bang them once for fun and then degrade them. Personally I suggest the "Candycane", it's the least that they deserve.

    ReplyDelete