Saturday 25 February 2012

Realistic expectations

The date is February 25th, and as a Toronto sports fan I should be tuned in to Hockey Night in Canada watching the Leafs leg out the stretch to the playoffs. Alas, I am not. I am sitting here anxious for the start of the 2012 Blue Jays baseball season. I have the ESPN and SI MLB home pages open, I'm reading about AA on Sportsnet.ca and I'm following Twitter to see what Travis Snider had for dinner and how many fish Joey Bats and Ricky Romero caught while fishing today.

In a nut shell; I probably need to get more friends, new hobbies and a life coach. But I'm reassured by the thought that my fascination with baseball and increasing interest has brought me new friends, hobbies such as blogging and come April - I will be getting out a whole lot more. So I'm not worried about my social life.

If watching the Leafs this season has taught me anything it is that managing expectations is crucial. I offer a couple of examples: a few months ago, whilst the Leafs were playing pretty well, Ron Wilson offered this statement "Dion Phaneuf is the best defensemen in the league". Another example occurred during the Leafs 4-game win streak following the New Year. Reporters in Toronto said that there is no need for the Leafs to upgrade via trade at the Trade Deadline. I offer this sentiment in rebuttal, are you
f@cking crazy. I can name at least 10 D-men I'd rather have than Phanuef and as Mondays trade deadline approaches I don't even know where to begin with the Leafs. Can we offer St. Louis $100 million for their whole team?

Today AA stated that "This is probably the best I've felt about the talent we have in the organization top to bottom". Now, a rosy optimist would say "Wow, we're talented". But a realistic fan would say that this is the first time we've had talent since 95' so of course this is best we've seen. My expectations are not to be confused with pessimism (from here on referred to as Gregg Zaun retirement resentment – GZRR for short). I am devoted Jays fan and will watch games as if I were 7 and 8 years old, such was the way in 92’ and 93’.   

My point is this: Expectations are fluid. They ebb and flow like the tides of the Gulf Coast or like Colby Rasmus' golden locks. At present, I'm riding the high of youthful exuberance, camaraderie and #beastmode. But I curb this emotion with the thought that the AL East is still dominated by the likes of the Bombers and Sox. Both teams have improved this offseason, the former bolstered by starting pitching and the latter by a Manager who should create a no-nonsense club house - free of Papeldouches. And let’s not forget about the Rays. Likely the strongest starting rotation in MLB and with rising young stars such as Desmond Jennings, are a formidable bunch to be sure.

In lieu of the comments made by AA and the sell out of the Rogers Centre in less time than it take Rasmus to call his Dad about the mean old man with funny hair - that fans remain realistic and even keeled. It was not realistic for the Jays to go after Fielder, Darvish, Pujols and Wilson. But it is realistic to expect this year’s team to be better than the 2011 version and for the growth in the club house/minor leagues to continue to fruit (or oreo). Building a sustainable and lasting winning culture does not occur in one season, it takes time. The “reality” of the 2012 Jays is that significant contributions towards that goal are what we are observing.    

No comments:

Post a Comment